Building pools (I)
When manufacturing polyester resin pools, material selection and workers’ skill are essential in preventing the formation of bubbles and color changes, the peeling of the surface layer or the occurrence of cracks due to its deformation.
Building the pool mold
For building pools, we recommend at least 3 layers of stratimate powder 450 g / m2 and a minimum of general purpose ISO resin (preferably choose vinylester resin for at least two layers near the surface of the gelcoat). Before applying the gelcoat, the resin must be polished to remove uneven glass fiber and then cleaned. Finally, apply a GC NGA layer and a NTA layer (or NGA + wax solution) of at least 700 mm total thickness.
Polyester concrete pool construction
Our recommendations for the construction of pools are the following:
- allow the concrete to dry for at least 30 days. The water content should be less than 4% in the 10 cm depth.
- wash the surface with hydrochloric acid and then rinse it with clean water and let it dry.
- all irregularities in the polyester concrete should be covered and leveled using a polyester filler.
- use polyester resin diluted in 10% styrene as a primer. After the partial reinforcement of the primer, you can start applying polyester resin / vinylester and glass fiber.
- at least 3 layers of 450 g / m2 stratimat powder and a minimum of general-purpose ISO resin in at least two layers close to the surface of the gel coat.
- before applying the gelcoat, the resin must be polished to remove uneven glass fiber and then cleaned.
- one layer of GC NGA and one layer of NTA (or NGA plus wax solution) of at least 700 mm total thickness.
Reapplying gelcoat for pools
To reapply gelcoat for pools, remove affected areas (gelcoat bubbles), then treat the surface with sandpaper and polish very thoroughly those areas in which faults occur. Rinse with clean water and allow to dry for at least 20 days at at least 18 ° C, and then apply a NGA layer and a NTA layer (or NGA plus wax solution) of at least 700 mm total thickness or two layers of 500mm Hempel High Protect.
The success of a repair depends on the dryness of the pool before the application. Be careful to remove all faulty areas, to polish them and then rinse them with clean water and leave them to dry for at least 20 days at a temperature of at least 18 ° C.